Sunday, October 25, 2009

Track 7: "Runaway" by Del Shannon

I'm a walkin' in the rain,
tears are fallin' and I feel the pain,
wishin' you were here by me,
to end this misery

Track 7 is going old school on that ass...1961 to be exact.

So I guess it's weird to admit one of my favorite songs of all time is one I don't even have on my IPod--but this is my blog about my favorites, so I get to make the rules (in your face, reader!)

Credits for me liking this on go to my mom and dad, and to the oldies station in Columbia, SC. I grew up going to my grandparent's house just about every Sunday of my life from birth til the time I left for college. And I'm sure I may be exaggerating in my brain a little bit, but it seems this tune would always be on the car radio on the rides home.

Something about it stuck with me...I LOVE when Del hit's the high notes on "why why why why why" part and then there's the super odd, high-pitched, melodic synthesizer solo in the middle (yeah, I'm a geek and looked up Del Shannon on Wikipedia--the instrument is called a Musitron!)

Those rides home proved to shape a lot of my musical tastes--Simon and Garfunkel, just about anything Motown, Roy Orbison, and countless songs I cannot even think of at the moment. (Speaking of Roy--the Travelling Wilburys did a pretty straight ahead cover of this song in Del Shannon's honor. He committed suicide in 1990--sadness courtesy of Wikipedia).

Regardless, this is a great tune and it's a shame they don't make 'em like this anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. And I thought I was the only one that appreciated music like that. Growing up listening to Oldies and Beach music with my dad gave me an appreciation for songs such as this...artists like Elvis, Roy Orbison, Chubby Checker, the Drifters, Ray Charles, the Beach Boys and Peter, Paul & Mary (yes laugh if you will).

    ReplyDelete
  2. who would laugh? i always listened to the oldies station in cola. oldies 103 baby! :)

    and i LOVE beach music! it's shagging music for goodness sakes. what's not to love?

    ReplyDelete