Thursday, October 15, 2009

Track 4: "It Makes No Difference" by The Band

Well I love you so much,
and it's all I can do
just to keep myself from telling you
that I've never felt so alone before

Just as no ultimate playlist is complete without a great love song (see Track 3), it sure as hell isn't complete without a classic heartbreak tune.

The Band is one of those groups, like CCR, that just has so many great songs it's almost impossible to narrow down your favorite. But since we're on the subject of heartbreak tunes, if there is a better sad bastard song out there than "It Makes No Difference," I don't even want to know about it.

We've all been there I am certain--the feeling that "the sun don't shine anymore."

The post-break-up blues--where all you can do is lay around in your own filth, listen to sad songs and feel rotten. Strange how heartache can become such a familiar thing when you're going through it, and when it's finally gone, you almost miss it.

Needless to say, I've given "It Makes No Difference" more than a few plays throughout the years. And even though the lyrics are ridiculously sad, it's still a wonderful song by one of the greatest bands ever. It's one of those tunes that make you want to rip your own heart out of your chest, take a bite, and then throw it into oncoming traffic because you really have no further use for it.

This version is from "The Last Waltz," which really needs no introduction or comments about other than the fact that you and everyone you know should own it. Strangely enough, the YouTube clip I found posts the lyrics so you can read along as Rick Danko belts it out.



And this is a pretty straight ahead cover by My Morning Jacket for a Band tribute album that was released a couple of years ago.


5 comments:

  1. Good pick. For me I usually give "Heavy Heart" by You Am I a listen. "I miss you like sleep, there's nothing romantic bout the hours I keep."

    I'm enjoying the blog postings though. This is in my new rotation. Great to get the Pantsari spin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie who? Not to be rude, I just know like 7 Jamies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Last Waltz has been played in the Palmer household many, many times. Great Band, great tune!

    ReplyDelete