Saturday, October 10, 2009

Track 1: "Linus and Lucy" by Vince Guaraldi

I'm sure the question has come up before in your life (most likely at a raging kegger or some hazy, faux-philosophical conversation) "what's your all time favorite song--EVER?"

If you asked me to pick my favorite band or movie it'd probably take me the better part of a day to narrow each question down to a laundry list. But my favorite song is a no-brainer--"Linus and Lucy"--the theme song for "The Peanuts." Maybe it's because I empathize with Charlie Brown's plight--the epitome of endearing struggle. The guy everyone wants to win, but we know will most likely lose. Sure it's sad, but it's at least dependable and true.

But the song is perfection. Other than the amazing cartoon/comic strip, I'm sure it was "Linus and Lucy" that made me look forward to watching "The Great Pumpkin" and all the other annual specials throughout my childhood. And it's also one of the many reasons the Charlie Brown Brown Christmas album goes on repeat on my Ipod at Christmas time each year.

I'm positive it's the reason I ever got interested in listening to jazz and I think it's a strong candidate for anyone's greatest songs of all time list.

The bassline makes me imagine "The Peanuts" cast doing that awesome head-bob dance, with Pig Pen creating his trademark dust cloud. And the melody is instant happiness--I think it's impossible to listen to this song and not smile immediately.

And if you listen and don't smile--I am pretty sure it means you have no soul.



and you gotta dig "The Peanuts" head-bob dance!

3 comments:

  1. definitely one of my all-time favorites as well. look forward to reading about and listening to more of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Charlie Brown Christmas album is one of my favorites as well! It's not the holidays until I start playing it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. David dances just like that Peanuts head-bob thing, so I call him Charlie Brown at shows. I'm not sure he loves that, but it amuses me, and that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete