Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Track 6: "b song" by Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer

If you told me when I was 15 that one of my favorite musicians of all time would turn out to be a banjo player, I probably would've called you a dirty word. I first heard the Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' album "Live Art" in my junior year of college and was immediately mind blown. And ever since Bela Fleck quickly joined the coveted ranks of my all time favorite musicians.

The guy is a true master of the banjo--and has played everything possible from bluegrass to Bach on the instrument--all the while surrounding himself (and sitting in) with some of the greatest bands and musicians on the planet. There's not too many people whose musical resume includes performing with Willie Nelson, The Grateful Dead, Phish, Dave Matthews Band, songs by Beethoven, and sit-ins with the cast of Sesame Street. Not to mention playing with just about every bluegrass icon EVER. All this along with, give or take, 20 Grammy awards.

Here's a story I did on Fleck back in 2003.: http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch03/0203/arc0219993705.shtml

It's likely Bela Fleck will make a few more appearances on my Ultimate Playlist, but choosing this track was a no-brainer. As far as I know "b song" only lives as one the tracks on the first Bonnaroo DVD, and it's even more special to me to know that I was in the audience to witness the amazing piece of music.

Bonnaroo is tough. It's not only the 80,000 people and relentless June Tennessee heat that make it so, but just the sheer number of top-notch acts the festival manages to have on its roster each and every year. There's always a nagging feeling that, no matter what act you are seeing or how much you are enjoying them, you're missing something spectacular.

I didn't have that feeling at all during Bela Fleck and Edgar Meyer's set on that ridiculously hot June afternoon. It started to rain a little bit during their set, and I remember how quenching it felt to have a few big fat rain drops land on my neck.

Their entire set was amazing...honestly I've never seen Bela Fleck do anything less. But Edgar Meyer is a genius in his own right as well. So a set by two absolute monsters and masters of their instruments was a certain highly of my first 'Roo.

But this tune--my god! It's a miracle that Fleck's banjo doesn't just burst into flame at any given moment. And Meyer's bass--it's unbelievable how one instrument can make your rib cage rumble AND also make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. This song is, and will likely always be, one of the greatest songs I've ever seen performed live in my entire life.



And if you're in the mood to read more, here's a review I wrote on the first Bonnaroo in 2002:
http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch02/0702/arc0704663287.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment