Saturday, October 10, 2009

So I started a blog...

...not of my own volition or freewill, but because I have to. For those unaware, I'm in my 7th quarter (out of 8) in the Copywriting program at The Creative Circus (yes, it's the real name of the place and, yes, it's an actual school). And one of my assignments this quarter is to keep an active blog, something I never really considered doing before. With no better ideas, I decided to dedicate this blog to my OCD love of music.

The more I thought about it (which was a good 15 minute drive home from class after I got the assignment), music is basically the reason I'm at this point in my life. I spent the better part of my 20's as a struggling freelance music journalist in Charleston, SC. Sort of like "Almost Famous," but not nearly as feature-film worthy. I did some stringing for nearly 10 different online and print (mostly newspapers) publications and made very little money. But I loved every second of it--free CDs, concert tickets, my own byline, the chance to interview some of my personal musical heroes, and anywhere from a whopping $25 to $75 per story!!!

Once I realized I wanted to get into advertising, I also realized that most agencies weren't too impressed with the Hefty bag of newspaper articles I accumulated throughout 6-7 years. And it led me to this school, a good bit of student loan debt, and a growing Hefty bag of fake advertisements.

But back to the point of this blog.

I believe I have impeccable tastes in music, and plan to share that with whoever happens to read this (which is likely to be my folks out of parental obligations of course, and maybe my teacher who will likely just check to make sure I'm actually doing the assignment). However, I'll stand behind my opinions on music all day long. I was a paid professional after all. And not to brag--but in one fiscal year I made $8,500 writing about music. That's three (3) zeroes people!!! Which I'm 87% sure is more money than you ever made writing about music.

It's my ultimate playlist--my favorite songs of all time...

1 comment: