Monday, October 12, 2009

Track 2: "I'll Fly Away"

"Some bright morning/when this life is over/I'll fly away"

If you know me well, it may seem odd that a Gospel song would make my ultimate playlist. But "I'll Fly Away" is just a fantastic, beautiful tune and so are the three versions I'm posting here.

I gave the eulogy at my grandfather's funeral back in August, probably one of the most difficult, humbling, and fulfilling things I've ever had to do. And the last song played at his funeral was "I'll Fly Away." I can't begin to explain how at ease it made me feel to hear this song at that moment. I made a comment to my mother afterward about how I always really liked the song, and she told me in going through some of my grandpa's things she found a piece of paper where he'd written down the lyrics. It made me feel an even deeper connection to one of the greatest men I'll ever know in my lifetime.

So this post is for William Register. I hope he's enjoying his new digs on God's celestial shore--even though he will be greatly missed.

#1-Allison Krauss and Gillian Welch from the "O, brother, where art thou?" soundtrack. One of my all time favorite movies, and one of the best movie soundtracks ever. This version of "I'll Fly Away" is just utterly gorgeous. How could it not be with these two ladies singing?



#2 The Word (self-titled album). One of the best side project albums ever I think--the North Mississippi All Stars, John Medeski, and pedal steel phenom Robert Randolph got together to record an album of gospel standards. This version definitely is not folky, rootsy, or bluegrass-y in anyway. The whole album is just killer, with some really cool interpretations of songs I heard growing up in church. Sorry about the 30-second snippet...but if you click the bottom link you should be able to listen to the full 7-minute version. I assure you it will be completely worth it.


Ill Fly Away - The Word

#3 The Dirty Dozen Brass Band from the album "Funeral for a Friend." The Dirty Dozen Brass Band have to be one of funnest bands ever to see live, and on this record they make seemingly traditional church music some of the ass-shakinest stuff you've ever heard. It's a great record, and sort of makes me want to get buried in New Orleans! I briefly touched on it in a article I wrote on the band for The Post and Courier (Charleston, SC) back in 2004:

http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch04/0604/arc06031758897.shtml

this link should take you to the song.
http://www.last.fm/music/The+Dirty+Dozen+Brass+Band/_/I%27ll+Fly+Away

1 comment:

  1. that was a lovely way to start the day...kind of a knee-slappin' tune with a beautiful message...even got a little teary eyed...

    ReplyDelete