Thursday, July 22, 2010

Track 66: "Mexican Tune" by Jackopierce

And in the morning time I find myself hiking with long boots and a cane, with a small rucksack on my back, along the banks of the Powder River...where Crazy Horse kicked Custer's ass sideways

Not all of my favorite bands from high school have made the transition into adulthood (or my apparent lack thereof). And Jackopierce is one of those bands.

The acoustic, folk-pop duo of Jack O'Neil and Cary Pierce (see how they came to their band name?) was a definite favorite of mine in my high school years. And I'll still say that their album "Bringing on the Weather" is quite solid--and there are several great songs on their other records as well. But I pretty much called it quits with Jackopierce once I saw them perform while I was in college.

A few friends and I made the road trip from Clemson to Greenville (about 25 miles) to see Jackopierce. And while they didn't sound bad at all, their douchey stage presence and looks (they were both in uber-tight shirts and lots of bullshit rock posturing which doesn't work well when all you have is an acoustic guitar). Maybe I was just too cool. Who knows. But it wasn't my favorite concert of all time. (And currently Counting Crows holds the low-esteemed position of worst concert I've ever seen).

So while I may not be a Jackopierce fan per se anymore, their music is still on my iPod and yesterday the shuffle function reintroduced me to my favorite Jackopierce song--"Mexican Tune." The spoken word, improvisational, stream of consciousness lyrics sort of retell the story of the Battle of Little Bighorn, and I have to say it's pretty awesome--even if it's something I'm not really into anymore.



--Music is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment