Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Track 62: "Don't Look Back" by She and Him

Don't look back all you'll ever get is the dust from the steps before/I don't have to you see every day, but I just want to know you're there

Dear blog enthusiast (yes, you),

My sincere apologies for no posts in a total of (gasp) five entire days. I can only hope you didn't find another self-important music blog to waste otherwise valuable time with during my brief hiatus.

But back to our regular scheduled program and another fantastic collaboration/side project: She and Him.

Even though I was already a fan of M. Ward, and despite already owning both of the She and Him albums (conveniently titled "Volume 1" and "Volume 2) I truly and deeply owe more than my life to one of my favorite new friends, Julie Benz-Pottie, for introducing me to this wonderful act.

Despite really liking (did I mention owning?) both of the She and Him albums, and even knowing words to several of their songs AND my non-gay man crush on M. Ward, I don't even possess the required vocabulary to properly thank her for bestowing on me the gift (in form of suggestion) of She and Him.

So as a hackneyed form of thanks, I will pimp her blog in mine. Surely, her fantastic blog (Julie Vs. Vegetables) chronicling her triumphant battle against everyone's least favorite food group will experience the "Pantsari Bump" of at least .25 readers after Track 62 goes live on the Interweb.

I liked She and Him the instant I heard it. M. Ward's knack for catchy low-fi arrangements really give the true star of the band, Zooey Deschanel, a chance to shine. Yes, in case you didn't see the movie "Elf", Zooey Deschanel is not only a ridiculously cute actress, she is also a great singer.

And both She and Him albums are chock full of wonderful (this is the only band I have ever used the word "wonderful" to describe) pop songs. There's a definite throw-back vibe going on as well. A bit of a doo-wop, early 60's, vaguely-Motownish sort of sound in the music and lyrics. And both records are packed with catchy, fun, simple tunes that just ooze bubblegum goodness.

On another positive note, I'll be seeing She and Him with none other than the author of Julie Vs. Vegetables this Friday night in Atlanta with a few other folks lucky enough to know her. Not only was she kind enough to share this band with me, but she's also been so generous as to float me the cost of the ticket until I get paid next Tuesday and shit.



Although I featured "Don't Look Back" for Track 62, I'm going to be as utterly selfless as Julie and share some more She and Him with you as well. "Gonna Get Along with You Now" (this is actually a song written my Milton Kellem in 1951).



"Black Hole" is off the Volume 1 record and the line "I'm alone on a bicycle for two" gets me every time.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mark, I've said it before, I will say it again: you're welcome.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete