Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Track 64: "Whipping Post" Bonerama covering the Allman Brothers Band

And I don't know why I let that mean woman make me out a fool

The 2005 New Orleans Jazz Fest was one of the best times I can barely remember. I am sure that the few days I spent in the Big Easy easily took a few years off of my life span, but it was an incredible time in an awesome city.

It was my first visit to New Orleans and I cannot say enough good things about my experiences. The musical highlights are almost too many to list but a brief run-down would include: Elvis Costello, Old Crow Medicine Show, Charlie Hunter at Preservation Hall, the Trey Anastasio Super Jam, and Mike Gordon with the Benevento/Russo Duo. It was a great time--we ate like kings, drank like gutter-winos, and crammed a ton of music into a few days.

But my favorite surprise act of my Jazz Fest experience was undoubtedly Bonerama. My group ended up wanting to see the quintessential New Orleans funk band The Funky Meters and Tipitina's--only we didn't have tickets to the sold out show. We milled about outside the venue for about an hour scoring tickets, and the whole time this energetic swampy funk was spilling out of the venue.

As we walked in the opening band announced it would be their last song and they ripped into this jazz-funk cover of the Allman Brothers' "Whipping Post" and it totally fucking ruled. I've always loved the wail of the trombone--so what could be better than a New Orleans-bred jazz-funk band fronted by five trombone players, and backed by a guitar, drums and a sousaphone instead of a bassist? And is there a better name on the planet for such a band than Bonerama? Say it with me one time and you'll agree...BONERAMA!!!

My love affair with "Whipping Post" began in college when I discovered the 20-plus minute version on the stellar Allman Brothers live record "Live at Filmore East." And my favorite college bar (Backstreet's in Clemson, SC) always served $1 PBR bottles and had the "Filmore East" album on it's juke box. So for $5, I could enjoy a few beers and play "Whipping Post" and "Mountain Jam" on the jukebox and those two songs would supply at least an hour of music!

And though I have a feeling I may be wrong--this may be my first summer since college that regrettably will not include an Allman Brothers Band concert. As I came to grips with that sad fact, I remembered stumbling in on my favorite 2005 Jazz Fest experience--and that was seeing Bonerama play the ever-loving shit out of "Whipping Post."

Say it one more time with me...BONERAMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment