Friday, July 2, 2010

Track 61: "Down with Disease" by Phish

Waiting for the time when I can finally say/this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

I'll be seeing Phish here in Atlanta for the 3rd and 4th of July, so Track 61 is serving a purpose of getting me fired up on the half-day Friday before the holiday weekend.

It will be the first time I've seen Phish perform since 2004--what was then the band's 'farewell' festival called Coventry in Vermont. The festival was basically a cluster-fuck. Torrential down pours the days before the event turned the festival grounds into a mud pit. It backed up traffic--my group spent a good 30 hours waiting to get in--to the point where a lot of people abandoned their cars on the interstate and walked to the festival.

And granted I am sure the band was going through a lot of emotions with it being their final show, but the music really wasn't good at Coventry--especially coming from such an amazingly gifted and tight band.

My interest in Phish has waned over the last few years--chalk it up to changing tastes and the fact that the band wasn't around to put out new music. But for a few years of my life Phish was my favorite band. Their 1999 New Year's festival in the Florida Everglades--Big Cypress--will always be one of the best times I've ever had in my life.

So when Phish got back together last year it really created a lot of excitement amongst my friends--who are avid Phish fans. But for whatever reason, I didn't really care. I rarely listen to them anymore, but really am looking forward to the two shows this weekend. If nothing else but for the chance to see some old pals, but I am sure the shows will be incredible. Maybe I'll become a 'phan' once again.

"Down with Disease" is one of the many quintessential Phish songs. I love the funky bass intro, Trey Anastasio's guitar licks are absolutely smoldering, and it's nearly impossible not join in with the sing-a-long chorus. And this live version really captures the energy and visual stimuli of a Phish show. Arguably one of the best light shows out there (and this video is from 1995). At times it looks like the Mothership is landing!

But hearing and watching this made me get pumped up to see Phish again!

Happy 4th of July weekend!



--Music is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment