Sunday, July 11, 2010

Track 63: "Wouldn't It Be Nice" by The Beach Boys

And it wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong

After seeing a really great show by She and Him in Atlanta Friday night, I left knowing two concrete facts of life: 1. Zooey Deschanel playing a ukulele is the cutest thing ever. 2. The Beach Boys' "Wouldn't it be Nice" is the greatest summer song of all time.

M. Ward and Zooey's take on "Wouldn't it be nice" for the encore could not have been better and it inspired me to revisit "Pet Sounds." I came to this American masterpiece a little late in life; yet another musical cornerstone I owe to my buddy Patrick Hill.

I am currently on my third listening of "Pet Sounds" of the weekend and have fallen in love with this record all over again. There's not much point in espousing what a glorious album it is, but I will say it sounds like the soundtrack to some fantastic lush summer dream--where everything is bright and shiny, the pretty girls smile at you, and the sun is wearing sunglasses like he just came off the Raisin Bran box.

And it all starts with "Wouldn't it be Nice."



And here's a bit of She and Him's encore from Friday night. There was a strict no camera/smart phone policy, so thanks to the ninja who shot this! Even Zooey's flubs are adorable.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad those dickbags had to piss her off at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except she handled that adorably, too. Sigh. Zooey.

    ReplyDelete