Thursday, February 25, 2010

Track 28: "Lowdown" by My Morning Jacket

So love, dawg, cant ya see?
That you never gotta fight with me.

God bless the double-live album.

My favorite albums by my favorite bands ALWAYS end up being the double-live album (such as "Live Art" from track 27). There's no better way to get a good cross-section of a band's hits, and there's just something about live music that kicks you right in the pants the way a studio record never can.

I owe my former Charleston roommate, Jason Eargle, for my introduction to My Morning Jacket's "It Still Moves." Songs like "Golden" and "One Big Holiday" were some of my first early favorites by the band. But my neighbors and good friends here in Atlanta, Sean and Jennifer Higgins, are red-blooded, foaming-at-the-mouth fans of this band. And through them I first heard MMJ's double-live masterpiece "Okonokos."

And as great as just about every track on the album is, "Lowdown," is far and away my favorite cut on the album. It's just a great, honest, kick-ass rock and roll-song. From the very beginning , it's clear this is one of those drive-too-fast-with-the-windows-down type of tunes. Jim James' lead intro is just so well played, and I love how it just trails off right up until he begins singing. The groove and melody give the song a really cool '50s sort of old vibe.

Every time this song comes on in the car I inevitably beat on the steering wheel (I've sort of always wanted a drum kit) and I've gotten more than a few strange looks at stop lights because of this habit. But if those suckers only knew the undeniable amounts of rocking taking place all up in my ride, they would have thought twice about the smirk.

This song is 4:13 of all that is right with rock and roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment