Thursday, February 11, 2010

Track 25: Fleet Foxes double shot.

Fleet Foxes may very well be the only band I can think of that Rolling Stone has introduced me to. The magazine covers plenty of garbage between its love of the "Twilight" cast and hack musicians, but it's still, more or less, a great magazine.

I remember reading a review of Fleet Foxes debut album, where RS touched on the band's music sounding like a hybrid of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and the Beach Boys and a whole 60s throwback vibe, and I was somewhat intrigued. I guess what was once old will always become new again.

And it didn't take long after hearing their album for me to really love this band. I devoured the album, listened to it incessantly, and then discovered their "Sun Giant" EP which is also a great record.

Knowing what a fan he is of classic rock, I played the Fleet Foxes record for my good friend, Sean Higgins, one day and he was in hog heaven. And between the two of us I am sure we got several friends hooked on this band. We were fortunate enough to see the band play at the Georgia Theatre in Athens around September of '08 and I cannot say enough good things about the show.

The groups harmonies really do echo that 60's vibe of CSNY and the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" album, and I was amazed at how well they were able to pull them off in a live setting. We got to meet the band after the show and they couldn't have been more genuine or humble--almost as if they have no idea how amazing the performance they just put on was.

The Fleet Foxes album was literally the soundtrack of my 2008 summer, and these two songs in particular just really jumped out at me.

White Winter Hymnal
And Michael you would fall,
and turn the white snow red as strawberries in the summertime.

This track is just superbly done. Amazing harmonies and without a doubt their most "Pet Sounds" sounding tune.



Ragged Wood
Darling, I can barely remember you beside me
You should come back home, back on your own now

Undoubtedly my favorite Fleet Foxes song, I could listen to this one on repeat and just drive on a sunny day forever. I love the changes, especially the guitar line in the very last section of the song.



Haven't heard much about the band in a while. I can only hope they're working on a new album!

No comments:

Post a Comment