Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Track 27: "If it wasn't for the Money" by Tea Leaf Green

All I need's a drop of water,
I'm a seed born on the wind,
I was once a flower,
and I'll be a flower again.

Track 28 has a lot in common with the last two songs. It's another live cut and another band where the moment I heard them I became a fan.

I first came across Tea Leaf Green in my freelance writing days back in 2006. I'd heard of the band before, but never heard any of their music. They were touring in support of "Rock and Roll Band" a live concert DVD/CD, which is just a really solid and downright awesome release.

Here's a link to that story; http://tinyurl.com/yanv9dm

Not too many of the 'jam bands' I covered back in the day have really stuck with me, but Tea Leaf Green, and this album in particular, managed to make the cut.

There's no doubt these guys can play--the album has a great live energy to it and some intense playing, but really none of the mindless noodling that so many jam bands fall victim to. At the heart of the tunes on "Rock and Roll Band" is a knack for solid songs. TLG has a bit of a pop feel to them, their songs have a really undeniable sing-along quality to them and they can just play the hell out of them.

Literally the first 6 songs on "Rock and Roll Band" I could listen to everyday, and did a fine job of wearing them out when I first got the CD. But "If it wasn't for the Money" has always been a favorite.

Sort of like "Lowdown" by My Morning Jacket in the last post--this song is another example of what a great rock and roll song should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment