Thursday, February 4, 2010

Track 24: "Don't Let the Sun Catch You Crying" by Ray Charles

Don't let the sun catch you crying,
crying at my front door.
You done daddy dirty,
He sure don't want you no more.

Sorry for the lack of updates, oh loyal 12 blog followers.

Track 24 is another great one for the sad bastard genre of my ultimate playlist. Inspired by a dreary, cold, rainy day here in Atlanta (I seriously cannot believe how much it rains in this town, I kinda miss the good ole drought days of '08).

I really don't remember the first time I heard Ray Charles, but I do remember riding in my grandpa's truck with him when I was a kid. And there among his cassettes of Roy Orbison and Hank Williams was the tape of Ray Charles' "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music." So maybe something about that stuck with me.

But they surely didn't call Ray Charles "genius" for nothing. The guy just oozed talent and soul.
And this is one of those songs that just kills me in a fantastic way. The orchestra accompaniment makes this so damn dramatic. And then there's his voice--arguably one of the greatest blues and soul singers ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment