Monday, June 28, 2010

Track 59: "Waiting on My Wings" by The Word

One of the coolest side projects I got introduced to as a lowly paid, under-read freelance jamband writer was The Word.

Though I've never gotten to see The Word perform live, I've done stories on all three bands represented in the supergroup --keyboard giant John Medeski (of the avant garde jazz-funk trio Medeski, Martin and Wood) pedal steel phenom Robert Randolph (of Robert Radolph and the Family Band) and brothers Cody (drums) and Luther Dickinson (guitar) and Chris Chew (bass) who make up the trio: the North Mississippi Allstars.

The group formed just on the cusp of Randolph becoming all the rage of the jamband world in 2001. Randolph's amazing pedal steel prowess was formed by playing in the House of God church in New Jersey--so it only seems fitting that when be combined with Medeski and the NMAS that the supergroup would put a funky new spin on traditional gospel music.

The Word released their self-titled album in 2001 and it's a great instrumental record. If you've ever been to church, you're sure to recognize some songs like "At the Cross," and "I'll Fly Away" (I gave "I'll Fly Away" a nod back on Track 3 of ye old blog).

Though Randolph's energetic pedal steel playing takes center stage on most tracks, Medeski is a Hammond organ monster, and the NMAS prove to be a super-tight backing band--and the whole group lays down a great mix of gospel-tinged, funky, bluesy rock.

I tried to find some more info on the origins of "Waiting on My Wings" on wikipedia, thinking it would have roots as a traditional gospel tune...and I found nothing. So we'll just assume it's an original by The Word.

Randolph's pedal steel absolutely smokes on this tune, Medeski's organ makes your guts vibrate, and the NMAS expertly handle the myriad of tempo changes. Plus you get to hear some electric washboard.

This is a smokin' jam indeed.



--Music is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment