Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Track 51: "Tomorrow is a Long Time" Nickel Creek covering Bob Dylan

There is beauty in that silver singing river/there is beauty in that sunrise in the sky/but none of these and nothing else can touch the beauty/that I remember in my true love's eyes.

I should probably listen to more Bob Dylan. Much the same way a devout Catholic should read The Bible more frequently. Or how a serious NASCAR fan just can't seem to have enough decals of Calvin urinating on a Ford logo right all over his truck's windows.

But what's pretty cool is how many of my favorite bands and musicians will throw a Bob Dylan cover out every now and then, so I guess it evens out.

I came across Nickel Creek through my hand-to-mouth freelance journalism days and immediately fell for this band. The three prodigious talents--brother/sister Sean (guitar) and Sara (violin) Watkins and Chris Thile (mandolin)--were all reared in traditional bluegrass. They can absolutely pick and have terrific voices that combine for some overwhelming harmonies. They've played Bonnaroo, had videos on Country Music Television, and even have a Pavement cover song in their arsenal--so their mix of bluegrass, folk, and pop really has a broad appeal. And of course it doesn't hurt that they all are quite attractive.

--shameless article plug: http://tinyurl.com/33893q4--

Nickel Creek could easily have a few songs fitting of my recent bluegrass instrumental kick, they certainly have more Playlist-worthy songs as well, but their cover of Dylan's "Tomorrow is a Long Time" just floors me. The song's off their last (for now?) album "Why Should the Fire Die?" album and honestly was the first time I'd ever heard this Bob Dylan song. It just proves what an amazing lyricist Dylan was for writing lyrics that make you want to pull your heart out of your chest and take a bite because the words are so moving. And Nickel Creek owns it. It's gorgeous. The playing and Sara Watkin's voice both make my special place tingle in the best way.

Forgive the cheesy video, but I think it's funny that it was made by Faye-tastic Films. Though I'm confident the amazing woman who raised me to be the blogger you are currenty reading has no knowledge of what entails uploading a video to You Tube. But Faye-tastic is pretty awesome.


The band's last tour in 2007 was called "Farewell for Now," and there's been some solo stuff out from all three members--check out Chris Thile's new group The Punch Brothers, really cool stuff--but here's to hoping Nickel Creek play again.



--Music is good

No comments:

Post a Comment