Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Track 53: "Don't Think Twice it's All Right" Susan Tedeschi covering Bob Dylan

I ain’t sayin’ you treated me unkind/You could have done better but I don’t mind/You just kinda wasted my precious time/But don’t think twice, it’s all right

Another great one in the Bob Dylan cover song genre...

I credit my fascination with slide guitar giant Derek Trucks to introducing me to Susan Tedeschi, who also happens to be Mrs. Derek Trucks.

They met while Tedeschi's band dis a tour opening for the Allman Brothers Band (Derek has been in the ABB for pretty much this entire decade, and his uncle, Butch,is the band's founding drummer) and are likely the most musically talented married couple alive (now that Britney and K-Fed are finito, of course). But I've been lucky enough to see the two share the stage a couple of times together, and it's really magic. Derek Trucks is easily the best young guitarist alive right now and Tedeschi's old-soul, Southern-fried bluesy voice is nothing short of perfect. They have a sort of side-project together, The Soul Stew Revival (which features Derek's younger brother, Duane, on drums on occasion) and I sincerely wish they'd make a Soul Stew Revival album.

But Tedeschi is uber-accomplished in her own right and I'm just beginning to venture into her solo stuff. Her version of "Angel from Montgomery" is superb. But when I stumbled across her "Live from Austin City Limits" album and this cover of Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice it's All Right," I was sold.

Only Bob Dylan could write lyrics this scathing and turn them into such an endearing song. Of course, Susan Tedeschi's voice just makes it all the more gorgeous. And big ups to Johnny Cash's version as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment