Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Track 12: "The General Specific" by Band of Horses

And runnin' the blender in a lightening storm,
disguised as a blessing I'm sure

Not only is track 12 on my ultimate playlist a fantastic song, it also helps me somewhat make up for an immense lack of 'cool.'

I actually know two guys in Band of Horses!

To get the name dropping out of the way, I've known Ben Bridwell and Ryan Monroe since middle school back in Irmo, SC. I wouldn't say we're bff or anything, we don't text message or email, but I know them--they know me--if I saw them on the street we'd say hi, possibly hug, and catch up. But the point is that real life rock stars actually know my name! In your face, whoever!

Regardless of me trying to seem cool, Band of Horses is great and have quickly become a big fat hairy deal on the Indie rock scene. And, for Ben and Ryan, the huge success the group is having couldn't be happening to nicer, more genuine guys. I first saw them open for Iron and Wine in 2005, and since they've literally skyrocketed ever since. They've toured the world, played Bonnaroo and Lolapalooza, been on Letterman, played Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit and have put out two stellar records. It's always a great thing to see a band you like grow and get better, but means a little more when there's a deeper tie to the music and band.

According to my IPod, I have listened to "The General Specific" 53 times, which seems to be a low-ball number in my opinion. It's just one of those songs I don't get tired of listening to. Great sing along lyrics, hand clapping, the cool honky tonk vibe, and the trinkling piano all add up to a really great tune. I'm sure I'd love the song even if I didn't know the guys in the band.

Here's a link to an article I did on Band of Horses back in 2006--which was right before Ryan Monroe joined the group and before the "Cease to Begin" album came out. Just on the band's verge of moving back to Charleston, SC and blowing up. I've also interviewed Ryan several times for stories about the late, great Captain Easy out of Columbia, SC.

http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch06/0906/arc09143419652.shtml

I hope you dig the song as much as I do. And if nothing else it is proof that South Carolina is capable of producing greatness, despite all the stupid bullshit my beloved birth state keeps getting national press for.

1 comment: