Sunday, November 8, 2009

Track 11: "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin

You need coolin', baby, I'm not foolin',
I'm gonna send you back to schoolin',

I could probably do an entire blog of its own on nothing but my favorite Led Zeppelin songs.

For me, Zeppelin was THE first band that got me. In sixth grade I had one of those colorful Memorex cassette tapes with Led Zeppelin IV dubbed one side and Rob Bass/DJ EZ Rock (remember "it takes two"? ha ha) on the other.

When I got my first CD player/boom box in 7th grade for Christmas, Led Zeppelin II was the first CD I owned (after I'd nearly wore out the cassette version of the album I had). It's still one of my all time favorite albums and definitely the first record I listened to ad nauseam until I'd learned every nuance and lyric.

The layperson generally thinks of Zeppelin as this dark group obsessed with black magic--and they're pretty right. But they have some gorgeous songs--"Rain Song," "Thank You," "Tangerine" and "That's the Way," that really made them such a complete band--the best ever in my opinion.

But back to Zeppelin II--so many awesome songs. "What is and What Should Never Be" still remains one of the best songs to listen to on headphones of all time. "Ramble On" and "Bring it on Home" are other standouts on the album for me.

But "Whole Lotta Love" is everything a rock and roll song should be and a great representation of what Zeppelin did best. It's overtly sexual, a little scary, and completely and utterly bad ass.

And Jimmy Page's solo coming out of the madness at about 3 minutes in is arguably the hottest shit ever in rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment