Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Track 10: "The Outdoor Type" by The Lemonheads

I can't go away with you on a rock climbing weekend,
what if something's on TV and it's never shown again.

I think we all, every single person on the planet, have a 'theme' song. Something that would play during the opening scenes or trailer in the sit-com or movie about your life. And for me "Outdoor Type" by The Lemonheads is that song.

It's not that I'm anti-outdoors, not at all. I appreciate a good view or breathtaking sunrise or sunset as much as the next guy, but when it comes to camping and 'roughing it'--I'd rather not. I'm happiest in a comfortable chair on the beach, with good friends, and some cold beers--which is, after all, outdoors.

But I've never been hunting. Never shot anything bigger than a BB gun. I dislike fishing (I can stay inside and hold a pole all day), though I have had fun deep sea fishing before. I've been camping--car camping--at music festivals and generally had a good time. But when it comes to hiking out in the middle of nowhere with enough equipment to basically set up a makeshift living room outside--I'd rather not. Hiking is just walking while you wear something made by The North Face, Patagonia, or Columbia.

And I love The Lemonheads. I referenced them in the last post, and "It's a Shame About Ray," for me, is just one of those albums you can listen to front to back--where every song is a great one. The same goes for "Come on Feel."

"Outdoor Type" is off of "Car Button Cloth," which came out during my freshman year of college. And granted my musical tastes have shifted somewhat over the years, but it's still tough to beat, in my book, a well-written, catchy simple tune.

The lyrics to this song are just hilarious, and I identified with them immediately upon hearing this song. And there's a message here about knowing who you are and staying true to yourself, but simply put--this is a great song.

Sorry for the poor quality of the recording here, but it was the best I could find on You Tube without putting forth any effort to upload it myself.

I especially like the closing line which hits pretty close to home for me:

..."can't grow a beard or even fight, I lied about being the outdoor type"

No comments:

Post a Comment