Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Track 36: "C. Brown" by Widespread Panic

Charlie really likes his friends
But in his heart he knows that sometimes a dog is as good as any man
Trying to do as we should
That doesn't always rhyme with doing what feels good


Track 1 of my Ultimate Playlist began with "Linus and Lucy." The piano-jazz Charlie Brown theme has always been a life-long favorite song. And when I first heard Widespread Panic's "C. Brown" in high school, I immediately loved it.

I am by no means a "Spreadhead." I do like the band and have seen them several times, but have never toured with them in my dad's SUV, I don't have a 'WSP' sticker on my car, will never own or use Croakies and the only place I wear a visor is on the golf course. But with that disclaimer, Widespread Panic is a great band with some fantastic songs. And, of course, "C. Brown" is my favorite. And the line "sometimes a dog is as good as any man" is just utterly brilliant and part of my own personal philosophy.

I love the piano in this tune, it's joyous and bright, and somewhat reminiscent of the "Linus and Lucy" melody. And I absolutely love the song's ending, and it's a major reason I like Widespread Panic and the band's ability to reveal a dark under-belly.

The song's about Charlie Brown being typically dissed over the course of a day by his friends--he's stood up at the school bus stop and gets the proverbial football yanked away right before kicking it. And then, Charlie Brown reaches the tipping point:

Charlie has drawn a gun
Right there in the square he catches Lucy on the run
Aims his eye, cocks his head
In a cloud of dust, dear old Lucy's gone
Charlie's only trying the golden rule
Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you


This is just a great song. And just like "Linus and Lucy" it makes me smile every time I hear it. And though it may be a somewhat devious grin, it's a smile nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment