Thursday, March 18, 2010

Track 32: "Theme from The Flintstones" by the George Barnes Quartet

As of tomorrow, I will be officially done with my two-year Copywriting program at The Creative Circus in Atlanta. And I've been thinking for a few weeks about what track on my Ultimate Playlist I'd pick to coincide with the momentous day. And I had nothing I felt could truly some up the experience. Until today.

Oddly enough I was driving home from school, tying up the very last loose end of something that has occupied literally every waking moment of my life for the last two years, when this song came on the iPod. And a beaming smile grew on my face immediately.

The transition from thinking about school all the time to not at all (other than the full-time job I now have to find a real full-time job) really hasn't hit me yet and I know it will be strange at first. And I'm terrified of 'growing up and getting a job' (for about the 3rd time in my life) about as much as I'm excited about it. Except this time I also get to have the burden of student loan debt!!! USA...USA...USA

I discovered this George Barnes CD (I know nothing about the guy other than he was a fantastic jazz guitarist) thanks to mandolin genius David Grisman. I did a story on him back in my freelance writing days and somehow got added to the mailing list of his very own Acoustic Disc label and subsequently got this CD.

I just love the super clean tone to Barnes' guitar and there's just something about the groove of upbeat jazz songs that I've always really enjoyed.

And when the song came on today (totally randomly from playing on "shuffle"...or was it totally random?) it just sort of let me enjoy the moment and let the feelings of finishing up with school sink in a little bit. It's been a really fun and really stressful two years and I've got to say I'm pretty proud of what I accomplished. I also can't get enough of shamelessly plugging my website www.mark-pantsari.com. And chances are, if I see you in person, I'll try and lay a business card on you.

Come Monday, I'll face the full-time stress of the full-time process of finding a full-time job. But until then I just want to be like Fred Flintsone when that work whistle ends his day at the quarry and he slides down the trunk of his elephant-crane-thing--Bursting with joy. Yabba-Dabba-Doo!



A heartfelt and most sincere "Congrats" to the Winter 2010 Creative Circus grads!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment