Monday, March 15, 2010

Track 31: "It's Just a Thought" by Creedence Clearwater Revival

It's just a thought,
but I wondered if you knew,
that the song up there is you.
They can't take it from if you don't give it away.

Few things in this world are as simple, or effective, as a Creedence Clearwater Revival song.

CCR is just one of the bands you HAVE to like. I mean seriously, how could you not? It's also one of those bands where I couldn't even begin to think of the first time I heard them, nor can I think of a time in my life where I didn't absolutely love this band.

CCR, by no means at all, could ever blow you away with their musical chops. And I think that's my favorite part about them. It's just easy. And certifiably impossible not to enjoy.

John Fogerty is easily one of my favorite singer-songwriters of all time. Just such a cool, gritty voice and the number off fantastic songs he's written is overwhelming: "Who'll Stop the Rain," "Long as I can See the Light," "Proud Mary," "Looking Out My Back Door," "Fortunate Son," "Bad Moon Rising," "Some Day Never Comes," and "Lodi" just barely scratch the surface.

"It's just a Thought" has been one of my favorites since college. I remember driving up to Highpoint, NC with my buddy Jeff Allara to spend a weekend of beer drinking at a friend's cabin (that's literally all we did as there is nothing interesting to do in Highpoint, NC for college dudes at all) and we listened to both CCR "Chronicle" albums on the drive up from Clemson. We each heard this song for the first time that day, and I wish I had a shiny nickle for every time I've listened to it since.



CCR is also just another reason that "The Big Lebowski" is just some awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment