Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Track 22: "The Power of Love" by Huey Lewis and the News

It's strong and it's sudden and it's cruel sometimes,
but it might just save your life.
That's the power of love.

Going to keep this installment short and sweet. And though Track 22 on my Ultimate Playlist may be a lark, it also carries some meaning.

"Back to the Future" will always be one of my favorite movies. And part of me wants to live out the scene where George McFly socks Biff in the parking lot of the Enchantment Under the Sea dance and wins the affections of Lorraine.

Maybe being a geeky weakling myself, I identify with putting a meat-head bully on his pants, and then uttering the classic line "Hey you, get your damn hands off her." Beautiful.

Not only does "Power of Love" play a prominent role in the film, but I more or less grew up hearing Huey Lewis and the News. (what a fantastic name for a backing band.) (And as an additional side note, Patrick Bateman's dissection of the albums "Fore" and "Sports" in "American Psycho" is brilliant). But it's a great song, and I dare you not to listen to it and just feel alive inside!

Track 22 also presents a challenge to you...yes, you, Blog Reader! The next time you are at a bar with a jukebox, find and play "Power of Love" and then just sit back and revel in the glory you just created with 50 cents.

If, by some far-off chance, you don't see a noticeable effect the song has on the bar patrons--especially towards the end when Huey asks "Feel the Power?"--do the following:

1. Leave that bar immediately and vow never to return, because clearly the place harbors the types of individuals you shouldn't associate with.

2. Let me know and I will gladly refund your 50 cents.

It's a curious thing, but trust me, it works every time.

Feel the Power? That's "The Power of Love."

No comments:

Post a Comment