Saturday, August 7, 2010

Track 69: "Sex Machine" by James Brown

I'm ready to get up and do my thang

Since it's Track 69, it only seemed logical and right to include a track with some sexual overtones and this version of "Sex Machine" is some funky shit indeed.

Has there ever been a better front man in history than the Godfather of Soul, the Hardest Working Man in Show Business, the late, great, funky as hell James Brown?

I'm not even sure how I got it, but I had a "James Brown's Greatest Hits" tape in high school, and every Friday became "James Brown Friday"--with the Godfather blasting as loud as it could in my '84 Chevy Cavalier.

This version off the live album "Love Power Peace" recorded in Paris in 1971, and the entire album is so awesome, tight, and just funky as all get out. James Brown's command of his band is unparalleled--often imitated, but never duplicated. And just dig how he counts it off at the beginning--so fucking dope.

No comments:

Post a Comment