Sunday, December 6, 2009

Track 17: A nod to Norah Jones

Yes, I love Norah Jones.

Back in 2002, in the early days of my freelance writing period, I did a story on 8-string jazz guitar player Charlie Hunter. Though Hunter's stuff rightfully belongs on my Ipod (his instrumental cover of the entire Bob Marley "Natty Dread" album is stellar) I'll always like him for introducing me to Norah Jones.

He had just released the album "Songs from the Analog Playground," his first album ever (or since) to feature vocalists. And two tracks (covers of Roxy Music's "More than This" and Nick Drakes "Day is Done")on the record were sung by Norah Jones--who at the time no one had heard of. I was immediately hooked.

Here's a link to that story, with a brief mention of Norah: http://archives.postandcourier.com/archive/arch02/0902/arc0905749604.shtml

Jones' debut album "Come Away with Me" was a mega-hit. It was number one on the Billboard Charts, won a Grammy for Album of the Year, and has been certified diamond--10 million records sold. I think this woman is one of the most gifted talents on the planet.

Her honey-smoky voice is just so sexy, and I became a fan since I first heard her back in 2002. I love how she's taken her influences and made her own sound tinged in jazz, country, bluegrass and even a little bit of rock and soul. The girl can flat out play--piano, keys, guitar--I saw her band play a few years and was hugely impressed by how well they could play live. And,not to belittle her talents in anyway, she is absolutely, drop dead gorgeous.

So on a chilly Sunday morning, drinking coffee (a perfect back drop for her music), I decided to dedicate the next installment of my Ultimate Playlist (again) not to one specific song, but an artist.

"Ruler of My Heart" with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band

Ruler of my heart, robber of my soul,
where can you be...I wait patiently

This track is on the Dirty Dozen Brass Band album "Medicated Magic," a great album with all sorts of guest stars (Dr. John, Widespread Panic's John Bell, Robert Randolph). This is just one of those songs where the instant I heard it became an all-time favorite.

hopefully this link will play the full song for you:

http://popup.lala.com/popup/2162009313542173316&ei=EfUbS8DFGZKYtgej6aHYAw&sa=X&oi=music_play_track&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNHE6qbA49i2xSmX6G4r4t4lAoPwzw

"The Tennessee Waltz" (live)

I remember the night and the Tennessee Waltz
Now I know just how much I have lost
Yes, I lost my little darlin' the night they were playing
The beautiful Tennessee Waltz.

"The Tennessee Waltz" is just a beautiful song in that sad bastard sort of way. It's been covered by all sorts of folks (Otis Redding, Emmylou Harris, Del McCoury, Sam Cooke). She just sings the hell out of this one.



"Even Though"

With the release of her latest album, "The Fall," which just came out in November, Jone's keeps pushing her sound. I just love the bass line groove of this song and the sort of atmospheric guitar effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment